Footage showed a plume of smoke rising from the scene and the blast aftermath
A large explosion has struck close to a military compound in the Syrian capital, Damascus, near a hotel used by the UN's observer mission.
Syrian state TV reported that three people had been injured in the blast, but that none of them were UN monitors.The intended target of the explosion was not immediately clear.
Meanwhile UN humanitarian chief Valerie Amos, who is visiting Syria, has said it should be made easier for aid to be delivered to civilians who need it.
Later on Wednesday, the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation (OIC) is expected to suspend Syria's membership over the ongoing violence.
The 57-member organisation, meeting in the Saudi city of Mecca, is expected to endorse a statement put forward by its members' foreign ministers, despite objections from Iran, Syria's last regional ally.
Rebel claim State television said Wednesday's blast had been caused by a bomb near a fuel truck planted in a car park near the hotel, but other reports suggested it had been an improvised explosive device (IED).
Valerie Amos, UN: 'I was here in March and the situation has clearly got worse''Images from Damascus showed a huge plume of smoke coming from the area in the city centre and several ambulances were seen rushing towards site. UN vehicles in the nearby car park were seen covered in dust and debris.Syria's Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad visited the scene and told state media it was "a criminal act aimed at distorting Syria's image" and called on the international community to "work hand-in-hand against terrorism"."I confirm that we are with the UN and we will do all we can to guarantee their protection so that they carry out their role," he said.There are several government and military buildings in the vicinity and a BBC correspondent in Damascus says the area around the hotel, the Dama Rose, is a high-security zone.
A senior member of the main rebel force, the Free Syrian Army (FSA), told the AFP news agency it had carried out the attack.
"The FSA operation targeted a military command office with explosives designed to go off at a meeting of army officers and members of the shabiha [pro-government militia] which decides on daily operations in Damascus," said Maher Nuwaimi.
His claim could not be immediately verified.
Aid appeal At first Damascus remained relatively quiet after the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began in March last year, but the violence has spread there in recent weeks.
Last month a bomb at the national security headquarters killed three of President Assad's security chiefs.
Speaking in Damascus before the explosion, Baroness Amos said the Syrian government had made clear that it wanted to stay in control of the aid response effort, and was concerned that aid from the UN could be used to support the armed rebel groups.
She said the Syrian Arab Red Crescent was "doing a good job but their capacity is stretched". "I am asking for more international and national NGOs to be cleared to be our partners for the relief effort.
"I'm also asking that the administrative procedures that are put in place... are made less cumbersome so that our response effort can be much quicker and that we can get to people as effectively and as quickly as we can."
At their meeting in Mecca, OIC members are expected to say that Syria should be suspended because of "the obstinacy of the Syrian authorities in following the military option" to end the uprising.
A draft copy of the proposal seen by AFP also demand that Mr Assad's government "immediately end all acts of violence" while defending Syria's "unity, sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity".
Iran opposes the measure - it said in recent weeks that Syria was a vital part of a regional alliance which Tehran would not allow to be broken.
On Tuesday, the US's top military officer said there was evidence that Iran was helping to build and train a militia in Syria to prop up Mr Assad.
Gen Martin Dempsey said the militia was intended to take the pressure off Syrian troops, who were battle-weary after 16 months of fighting.
At the same news conference, US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said it had become obvious that Iran was providing assistance and training for the Syrian regime.
No comments:
Post a Comment